Wednesday, February 16, 2011

30 Days of Books: Day 14


Day 14 – Favorite character in a book (of any sex or gender)

When I was younger my hero was Leslie Burke in Bridge to Terabithia. She had great ideas and wonderful imagination... she was the best friend I always wanted.

Now one of my favorite characters is Novalee Nation, imagine... being 17 years old, eight and half months pregnant and your boyfriend abandons you at Wal-Mart in the middle of Oklahoma, you haven't a penny to your name and have no where to go... that is the beginning of Novalee's life in Betti Lett's "Where the Heart is" Novalee is amazingly strong spirited and is set on beating the odds despite everything she is up against.

What I find interesting is that both of these are such good books that they turned them into movies. I have read both books before the movies were made and have a picture of my own Leslie Burke and Novalee Nation in my mind, but both characters were played by awesome actress's. AnnaSophia Robb plays Leslie Burke in Bridge to Terabithia and she also plays Opal in Because of Winn-Dixie, which happens to be another favorite children's book of mine. Natalie Portman plays Novalee Nation in Where the Heart Is.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad - I've not read either of those books. Oh my the TBR pile keeps growing and growing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED The Bridge to Terebithia. I cried when I read it and continually looked for a cheap(or free) copy for our library!

    ReplyDelete