A few weeks ago the munchkin had her eyes tested at school and she came home with a note from the nurse saying she failed the eye exam and they suggested that we make an appointment with the ophthalmologist to get her eyes check out. So I did just that and it turns out she does in fact need glasses, the poor child has been struggling since August to see in class and hasn't said a word to us about not being able to see the board in class, it also didn't help that she sits at the back of the classroom and is pretty much blind as a cute little bat. No really... she is! Her prescription is even worse than mine and I'm 30 years old! Right now she's sitting at a -4.00 in her left eye and a -3.75 in her right eye. The doctor says it should correct her vision a little and hopefully in a year or two she wont need such a high strength. So she now has glasses and looks quite cute in them if I do say so myself! She really loves them as well, and I figured as much since they totally help her to see and she got to pick out the frames herself. :)
![]() | ||||||
| Sorry this one is sideways... Blogger is being difficult... But isn't she cute! |
So if you can remember a few posts back, I had said we took the girl scouts to the corn maze and the pumpkin patch up in Kiln Mississippi. Well... I ordered their cool patches over the weekend from Snappy Logos (which I LOVE! Because they are cute and oh so much cheaper than ordering from Girl Scouts, and right now seeing how we have no troop money... this momma is taking the cheap way out! LOL!) So I put them together for the girls in little zip lock bags and had the kiddo help me draw some happy jack-o-lantern style faces on the pumpkins we cut out. Just a little something to make them seem cool. :)
Last Sunday we also went grocery shopping, which means I end up going to SAM's Club and dreading every moment of it... usually... This time however I was glad I went because I stumbled upon this!
The mother of all S'mores maker! Look at this thing! Doesn't it ROCK! I can't wait to use it at girl scouts... even if we don't get the chance to take the girls camping this year (again, not us... money is the issue) at least with this baby we can still rock an awesome "S'mores Night"!
Ok now... onto the napkin part... so I was scouring the web (like usual) to find some cool crafts and what not for the daisy girls that tie into our petals we've been doing, when I stumbled upon a cool idea for myself! I found a blog (that now, I can't find again... sorry, should have bookmarked it) that had a tutorial on how to make your own napkins and paper towels by sewing material to make them reusable! Think about it!... how much do you think we spend on paper towels and napkins a year? I know I spend at least a couple hundred dollars if not more... I dunno if were just messy or what!? But what if I could save that and help the environment?! I know.. I know... "Jess, when did you turn into such a hippy!" LOL! Call me crazy but I actually believe in recycling, reusing and re-purposing... I guess it's something that stuck with me from growing up and living in Europe (where recycling is not an option) and being a girl scout, I also have a grandmother who grew up during the great depression and who is very frugal, savvy and proud that I am making something from left overs, in fact she's the one I owe credit to for showing me how to sew. I was really glad to find the tut on it as well since I have a ton of left over scrap fabric to sew into little napkins, now I have pretty napkins of all sizes and color. Some are lap napkins, some are hand napkins and some are cocktail napkins. I haven't yet started the paper towel roll but it doesn't look hard, they are just bigger versions of the napkins and they are snapped together with those non metallic baby snaps that you see on the bottoms of onsies. As soon as I get some more fabric I will attempt them and show you what I mean. :)
In the mean time... enjoy my pics from my napkin making adventure... :)
![]() |
| Oh man I love this Thanks Giving fabric! I am not super excited to have people over for Thanks Giving! |
![]() |
| Pretty right?! |
![]() |
| A little more of a close up on the Halloween fabric, yes, because I love it that much! |
![]() |
| From my left over scrap collection of fabrics, I painted the Efiel tower part and the "Merci" part just to have a bit of a french theme to it.. |
![]() |
| These remind me of something Gram would have at her house... I love these fabrics! Vintage! |
![]() | ||||
| Awe, my starter basket already! This might just have to make more to give for Christmas gifts, I know my mom, mom-in-law and Gram would love it! |
So what do you think?










LOVE the napkins! Have fun on your trip! :)
ReplyDeleteI got my first pair of glasses when I was 6. I just think kids that young assume that's how EVERYONE sees! :) Happy for her that she got them... and they are super cute!
ReplyDelete