And slowly but surely it's coming along. I know what kind of theme I want in each room it's just taking more time than I would like to get it all there. Lately I have been crafting up a few things for my living room, which has a "Southern" theme to it. It's my tribute to home... I grew up hunting with my uncles, fishing with my daddy and loving my grandma's fried chicken, cornbread and sweet tea, I am a true Southerner at heart and I cannot deny that lol. Even though Virginia is still considered "South" don't tell that to the people who live around here, they emphasize the "Northern" in Northern Virginia every chance they get... we are truly more North than South and it shows when I let my "Hey Ya'll" or "Fixin to" slip every now and then. So in while living in a world of Northern exposure and diversity this is my little piece of home. I keep it classy though... think pearls and vintage lace verses beer cans and rebel flags... again big difference between "Southern" and "Redneckin".
I think you've seen the fireplace before with it's latest updates of magnolias and our family sign gracing the mantel. I have now added to it a little bit to the corner and floor since it will still looking bare. I am still looking for something to put on the wall, and I've got my eye set on a Fleur De Lis painting at Kirklands...but I'll have to wait till that sucker goes on sale. In the mean time... here's what I've added to the fireplace area.
I found the "vintage" milk can on sale at 75% off at Joann Fabric's, where I also bought the Rose and lace to tie around the base. I found the sprig of cotton at Target and just decided to tie it all together. I had to cut the bottom of the cotton sprig down a little so it would fit into the milk can but nothing a hack saw couldn't handle... I love the fact that I can be in the garage using the hack saw on something like a flower sprig and my hubby won't even bat an eyelash anymore LOL! I am still debating on or getting some of those battery operated light up branches to mix in this as well or not... what do you think? Add or no?
My other addition to the living room is a sign I've made with all things "Southern" on it... again little reminders of home...
Again, I think this style would be cute for just about any kind of sign. Most of the other signs and designs in the living room are in black and white and I've always been real fond of the "chalk board" look... so again here, I just bought some craft wood from Michaels, the letter S and the Fleur De Lis is also from Michaels. I spray painted both black and then distressed them with a paint scraper (a lot easier than sanding) I then used a paint pen to write the words on it. And I promise... it's not crooked on the wall like that it's just the picture I took of it is crooked LOL!
So what do you think so far? I am no where near done but it sadly I know it will take time... and patients is definitely not one of my best virtues LOL!


No comments:
Post a Comment