I decided to get crafty today and make a family name sign. I've always wanted one and I had just recently discovered a whole bunch of left over particle board, courtesy of the hubbers from when he was building his speaker boxes for the vette. So I grabbed a few pieces of choice board and with jigsaw in hand began to whip up my sign.After I had finished cutting the jagged edges I spray painted the board black with the left over spray paint I had from my halloween candelabra. I let it dry for a bout an hour and then I ran a few nails over the glossy paint to give it that old "weathered" look. I then searched the depths of the internet for the perfect font. And came up with "four score" from; 1001 free fonts.com I blew it up and traced it with plain white paper to make my stencil.
After that I carefully peeled back the tape, removing the stencil and began to paint in my outline with a white pain pen. Suuuuuuuuper easy!
I let it dry, sprayed on some clear varnish, nailed in two frame hooks on the back, looped some twine through and TA-DA! Super easy and cheap faux antique family sign was done!
**Please forgive me for blacking out part of our last name... its for privacy. Not that I don't trust my readers... its the anonymous stalkers I worry about LOL!**
I love it! Just to let you know.. you can see your last name on the paper above the plaque in the second to the last picture. Just wanted to give you a heads up!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a neat idea! I may have to give it a try after my current project :) And I don't blame ya about the last name. I don't think I'd reveal mine either (at least I hope I haven't) LOL :)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! & Thanks for the heads up! Its all good and edited now :D
ReplyDeleteHow cute is that?! And it looks so easy, too. thanks for stopping by my blog this morning, too! Where did you find the vinyl varnish for it? I'd love to make something like that!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jess! I totally love your blog by the way... meant to mention that earlier... LOL! The varnish I found actually at Wal-Mart. I couldn't believe they had it, mine here in Biloxi has nothing I ever need. LOL!
ReplyDelete