Hi guys sorry to leave you in the dark about what happened at my doc appointment... I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off all day today. The good news... I got a job! YAY! Finally! Its part time, about 26 hours a week which suits me just fine. I wanted to ease my way back into working seeing how I haven't done it in at least 3 1/2 years. ;) And its a Monday thru Friday kinda job so I'm happy for that. So scrubs will once again be part of my life. YAY! That is pretty much the reason I have been running around like a nut. Trying to find new scrubs... apparently I have put a little weight on since I last worked because all my extra small to small scrubs are just not cutting it, I've had to upgrade to mediums LOL!
Now on to the bad news...I am having to seek a second opinion about what my doctor told me on Wednesday. I went in for my follow up appointment with Dr. "X" and he gave me an exam while I was there, which in itself was a rushed nightmare... he seemed to busy to even give me some sort of lubricant! I have never felt so uncomfortable in all my life! And after my exam he simply said my cervix was small but not bad enough where it would cause me trouble. However, seeing how they couldn't do the HSG because of the cervix he is wanting me to have a different test done. Those were his exact words. The "test" he had in mind is not a test but SURGERY! Its called a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy, its basically where you go in the OR, get put to sleep so they can make 2 incisions. One near your belly button and one in the pubic area. Then they put a camera inside to take a look at the cervix, ovaries, uterus and uterus lining while putting dye inside of you, to make sure you have not blockages. I honestly don't believe this is truly necessary, I understand that he is trying to "investigate" but there is nothing in my blood test or hormone levels to even suggest that I have PCOS. I also have no abnormalities or pain during ovulation or any of the classic "symptoms" of infertility. I honestly think he's drawing a conclusion where there is none. What I would like is for him to try some meds on me, let us continue "trying" for a while and see where that gets us. If by the 6-9 months I am not pregnant, and they still cant figure out what's wrong... then by all means poke and prod away. I am not blind to the fact that there "might" be something wrong with me, I just dont think that surgery should be the first option. I also think the HSG would be easily done if he were to just dilate my cervix before the exam, this is VERY common among women with my problem. I honestly dont mind having the HSG done... Id take that over surgery any day of the week. The bottom line is its my body and I will NOT have unnecessary surgery for "investigative" purposes at this time... I will seek another doctor's opinion before I EVER go back to see Dr. "X" again, that is if I ever see him again. So what do you guys think? Am I totally wrong? Would you let Dr. Quack do the "exploratory" surgery on you without any indications that there is something wrong? Or do you think I'm right in finding another doctor to seek a second opinion?
Get a second opinion!! That is crazy to jump right to surgery when you don't have any indicators for it.
ReplyDeleteI think you are smart for seeking a 2nd opinion...it's actually a little weird to me that the dr. didn't explore other options before surgery...you'd think he's want to try some other things first! Goodluck!!
ReplyDeletei think i've been really lucky that my doc has been nothing but gentle and he's rather soft spoken. if you have something to say he'll stop what he's saying and listen to you. i don't have a whole lot of choice either because i go to a regional fertility clinic that serves most of alberta and saskatchewan, but so many people go there because they've got an excellent reputation.
ReplyDeleteIMHO, surgery is past ridiculous if you don't even know anything is wrong... my doc said he could see that i didn't have PCOS from my ultrasound? now the ultrasound tech i would have dropped like a hot stone, but that's a different story...
Find another doctor. Sounds like Dr.X wants to make some money or something. That is crazy wanting to do surgery without doing other procedures first.
ReplyDeleteGo get a second opinion first!
What type of work do you do in the medical field! & congrats on finding a job!
First of all, congrats on the new job! And second of all, by all means go seek out a second opinion! Find a doctor who is willing to listen to you and take things at your pace; it sounds like Dr. X is not the guy for you. I wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteYeah new job!! Boo to your dr. x. I think finding a new one is a very smart idea!!! Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I was calling him Dr. Quack in my head. Great minds think alike. :)
ReplyDeleteYES, get a second opinion!! I'm not a doctor, but I would think he'd do an ultrasound, then if they see anything suspicious, that would warrant a laproscopy. There's no need to cut you open "just to look"- that's what modern technology is for!
Sheesh. You'd think that he'd have better bedside manners, too.
And congrats on the job!! :)
If it doesn't seem right, go with the second opinion. Trust your instincts.
ReplyDeleteI would most definitely seek a second opinion! Sounds like he may be rushing things and if not at least you'll know you double checked. Good luck!!
ReplyDelete