Friday, April 20, 2012

My Mini Blockbuster...

That is what I've been up to! I don't know if I've ever mentioned it before but we have over 800 movies in our collection, not counting what I bought recently and the TV season we own as well. I know how crazy that sounds, and how we must look like a mini block buster, but before you can ask... yes, we really do watch them all... at some point LOL! In my house alone we have dedicated 1 full bookshelf, 1 half bookshelf, and two cabinets above our entertainment center to dvds, tv series and blu ray dvds. That's a lot of space! And a lot of wasted space taken up by the bulk of the cases!

We've been living like this for over 5 years now and it has been slowly driving me up the wall, everything is so cluttered up and it take a while to find any particular dvd. I try my best to keep it organized and labeled but its hard, with that many dvd's if one or two get out of order chaos will soon take over; and then of course once that happens... no one wants to spend all day correcting it right?!

Until now...! I have stumbled upon my ultimate "get organized" tool for my colossal dvd collection, while shopping around at target! They now make these cool "movie sleeves". You just take out the dvd cover (if you want it, I did!) put it in the sleeve and take out your dvd and slid it in the extra sleeve insert and whala! Then take that big, black, bulky case and shooov.... ok... chuck it in the trash! ;)

It's as easy as that... you can go from this...

and this...
and this...
and *gasp* this...
(and BTW... those are stacked 3 deep)

To this...

There are 25 sleeves of dvd's there in the pile compared to the 25 big, black, bulky, empty cases.
And as you can tell from the picture, 25 sleeves take up as much space as about 4 cases. Yes folks, I think we have a miracle! I plan on putting the new dvd's in really cute bins, once I get the chance to get all the dvd's organized into the sleeves and I find some material to cuteify
(yes, I totally made that word up) the bins. I then want to store the bins in our new storage coffee table that I just bought last week. This is going to be a project and a half when considering the extent of our collection but it's something to keep me busy with from now till vacation! :)

What do you think?

This is a close up of what the sleeves actually look like. I put the cover (because I just couldn't talk myself into getting rid of the covers) to face the back of the sleeve and then the dvd's toward the flap. There is an extra plastic insert inside the sleeve so that you can put your dvd's in there and the wont become scratched; and as you can see it holds more than one dvd. You could probably even get three in there if you needed to; 2 in the sleeves and one loose. :)

4 comments:

  1. Omg, that's a lot of dvds!!! Are those top shelves BENDING under the weight of them? LOL, that's pretty amazing! :)

    I like the idea of the sleeves, although there are some cases I could never part with, like my Absolutely Fabulous collection. Kudos to you for being organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I have completely ruined that big bookcase... the shelves are all bowed... When I finally get this project all done, I plan on buying a new one just for books only... imagine that LOL! There are a few cases that we just wont part with either because they are "Speical" like our batman begins & Iron Man cases are made to look like the masks... I just can't give those up either :) BTW... I LOOOOOOOVE Absolutely Fab!!! It was one of the first British comedies I watched!

      Delete
  2. I never heard of the movie sleeves either. We have almost 300 movies. 100 of them are in one of those huge CD books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originally I thought about getting a book but I wanted to keep the covers so I went with the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete