I have been trying to make at least one room in our house make sense. As in... it needs to have a theme! If you were to walk right into our house you would be greeted with comfort and a homey feeling but nothing in it makes alot of sense. Our living room has a bunch of movie posters and comic book memorbilia mixed in with a whole lot of comfort. My dining room looks like my craft/art room and even the kiddo's room has a bit of princess/superhero's thrown in. See what I mean... it just doesn't tie in together! I hate it! I keep telling myself that once we get some place permanent, ever room in the house will have a theme. I guess I get it from my mom, she has theme's to all her rooms and it drives me nuts not to be like that too lol! So the room I have started on is my bedroom, the theme to the room is "world travel" I have a few things that I have cooked up to help get things underway but I need more ideas! I also need more money (that I don't have) lol! Anyway here's what I got so far...

These are my new (old) fabric painted on curtains. I had these curtains from my last house and they were just plain khaki colored. To be truthful, we had a street lamp that was as bright as the sun, right outside our bedroom window and would keep me up all night, so I bought these to block it out. Now I painted them to look like an airmail envelope. What'cha think? I got the great idea from a fellow blogger at Secret Pie Shoppe she has such awesome & creative ideas and I loved her easy tutorial on how to make it.
My window is kinda small for my bedroom and my panels were meant to fit my larger window from our previous house so I had to improvise. So this is what it looks like on one side of the panel.
And here is the other side, when they are closed together it just looks a little smooshed. :)
So while raiding the comic book section at the flea market a few months ago, I came across this! Its a front page of the St. Louis Star Times from December 8th 1941, the day after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. How neat right?! I know it doesn't exaaaaactly fit in with the world travel theme but it looks good hanging up above my bookshelf. :)
See... right?
And speaking of bookshelves... here is my little nook, it sits across from my window and chase lounge so I have a nice little reading nook in my bedroom. And all the little trinkets you see are things I have either collected from travels or something someone has brought back for me. On the top shelf (you might not be able to see) are a pair of little wooden shoes that were sent to my by a friend who lives in Holland. The first shelf holds a voodoo doll I bought on my first trip to NOLA after we moved here, he sits on the right side of the shelf because, apparently its bad luck to have voodoo items on the left side of anything. The second shelf holds a frame of my ticket into the Vatican museum that I visited while staying in Rome for a week. And the bottom shelf is a Japanese silk fan that my brother in law picked up while TDY there. The basket on the top shelf and to the left is a woven with Japanese news paper and of course I filled it with silk pink cherry blossoms from hobby lobby :)
So this is what I have so far... I have a few more ideas waiting in the wings but they are not finished yet, and I'm not sure when I will get the chance of finishing them... there's something that disturbs my husband about spending money on "frivolous" things LOL! Oh men! LOL!
And Please, PLEASE! If you have any ideas or suggestions pleaaaaaase comment. I can always use some more ideas! :)
So this is what I have so far... I have a few more ideas waiting in the wings but they are not finished yet, and I'm not sure when I will get the chance of finishing them... there's something that disturbs my husband about spending money on "frivolous" things LOL! Oh men! LOL!
And Please, PLEASE! If you have any ideas or suggestions pleaaaaaase comment. I can always use some more ideas! :)
LOVE LOVE the curtain! I think a travel room is awesome. For me, I would get some old luggage for decoration, I am currently obsessed with old pan-am gear, suit cases, etc.lol. Framing postcards, new ones and the old used ones from antique stores, is another of my favs. Maps, might be cool to decorate with. But, whatever you decided, I can't wait to see it!
ReplyDelete