
Food! Foooooood! FOOOOOOOOD!
Today's about food and I'm starving already! LOL!
Let's see... Five food's eh?
# 1) I would give just about anything to be able to go back to Heilbronn (My town in Germany) and have lunch a the Silzer. I am in desperate need of Curry Wurst! My mom's bestie sent over some packets so I can make my own... but its just a poor substitute for the Silzer... nothing compares to an afternoon of walking around downtown and then stopping in the Silzer for a bite to eat... OMG! Heaven! And in case you don't know or have ever seen Curry Wurst before, it looks like:
Yes, comes with a Brötchen (roll) to sop up the extra sauce. And usually is followed with a side of Pommes frites or what we Southern German like to say... just Pommes (French Fries/Fries) ;)
#2) I miss my momma's cooking too... speaking of German. I miss particularly her Goulash. It is COMPETELY different than any kind of American Goulash you can think of. No! I am not talking about sticking ground hamburger, corn and whatever else in a crock pot and boiling it for 10 hours straight. That, to me is just gross... no, what I am talking about is pressure cooked tender meat cooked in a special family tradition recipe of hot, spicy Hungarian style sauce. Why Hungarian you might ask? Becuase I though you were German Jess? I am that is true... my mom's step dad is Hungarian though, and she grew up making Goulash his way. We also serve it over white rice or as a soup with bread as apposed to regular German style with noodles. And seeing how my pressure cooker is broken right now (I'll have to have the family send me a new one from Germany soon) I miss making it. My mom still make's it the best though.
# 3) Beignets! OMG! My favorite "local" food... seriously I could eat them all the time and everyday! Yummmmmmy! In my best opinion I love the ones from Cafe Beignet in NOLA the most! :)
# 4) Since were on the subject of local food... I love me some po-boys! My favorite place to get them is Po-Boy express! In case your not sure what a po-boy is... it's very similar to a sub but sooooo much more and soooo much better! You can put just about anything on them but traditionally they are shrimp and oyster made.
I like them from Po-Boy Express in Ocean Springs, its about a 15 min drive from home but well worth it! My favorites are the steak bomb, the hammer head with gravy, cajun shrimp and the italian chicken! Mmmm mmm!
# 5) Would be hot wings! I love hot wings! The best place I've ever had them was in Oklahoma City at this little place called Wings 2 Go. They are part of a small chain but it was family owned and they had some of the nicest people there. My favorite were the buffalo garlic wings! Mmmm!
Today's about food and I'm starving already! LOL!
Let's see... Five food's eh?
# 1) I would give just about anything to be able to go back to Heilbronn (My town in Germany) and have lunch a the Silzer. I am in desperate need of Curry Wurst! My mom's bestie sent over some packets so I can make my own... but its just a poor substitute for the Silzer... nothing compares to an afternoon of walking around downtown and then stopping in the Silzer for a bite to eat... OMG! Heaven! And in case you don't know or have ever seen Curry Wurst before, it looks like:
Yes, comes with a Brötchen (roll) to sop up the extra sauce. And usually is followed with a side of Pommes frites or what we Southern German like to say... just Pommes (French Fries/Fries) ;)
#2) I miss my momma's cooking too... speaking of German. I miss particularly her Goulash. It is COMPETELY different than any kind of American Goulash you can think of. No! I am not talking about sticking ground hamburger, corn and whatever else in a crock pot and boiling it for 10 hours straight. That, to me is just gross... no, what I am talking about is pressure cooked tender meat cooked in a special family tradition recipe of hot, spicy Hungarian style sauce. Why Hungarian you might ask? Becuase I though you were German Jess? I am that is true... my mom's step dad is Hungarian though, and she grew up making Goulash his way. We also serve it over white rice or as a soup with bread as apposed to regular German style with noodles. And seeing how my pressure cooker is broken right now (I'll have to have the family send me a new one from Germany soon) I miss making it. My mom still make's it the best though.
# 3) Beignets! OMG! My favorite "local" food... seriously I could eat them all the time and everyday! Yummmmmmy! In my best opinion I love the ones from Cafe Beignet in NOLA the most! :)
# 4) Since were on the subject of local food... I love me some po-boys! My favorite place to get them is Po-Boy express! In case your not sure what a po-boy is... it's very similar to a sub but sooooo much more and soooo much better! You can put just about anything on them but traditionally they are shrimp and oyster made.
I like them from Po-Boy Express in Ocean Springs, its about a 15 min drive from home but well worth it! My favorites are the steak bomb, the hammer head with gravy, cajun shrimp and the italian chicken! Mmmm mmm!
# 5) Would be hot wings! I love hot wings! The best place I've ever had them was in Oklahoma City at this little place called Wings 2 Go. They are part of a small chain but it was family owned and they had some of the nicest people there. My favorite were the buffalo garlic wings! Mmmm!
*drool* you're making me hungry! My mom is Hungarian and I've only just now started learning the intricacies or fantastic things such as Chicken Paprikash and Lecso, two of my favorite things that my mom makes... and whenever we make them, the smell reminds me of my grandmother's house :D
ReplyDeleteOh, you made me miss German food so bad!!
ReplyDeleteI think we need to have lunch together for at least a week.lol. Just so we can go through that list together.lol.
ReplyDelete